2.01.2006

Life as a Walter - The beginning


I decided to start a blog for our first year of life together as husband & wife. I think it will be great to:

1. reflect on when we are old and gray
2. keep our family & friends updated on our lives
3. serve as a reminder that my dream has come true:
I am married to the man I love & we are beyond happy in our lives together.

A bit of background for those who don't know us:

I met Chuck on the first day of high school in 1995. He sat a few seats ahead of me. I always remember he was so quiet but funny, throwing in soft jokes here or there. During high school, we became friends... he was on the boys basketball team, I was on the girl's. Whenever we had a class together, we were usually sat close by since we both have "W" last names. In our junior and senior year we became better friends. Our senior religion class is actually responsible for or first marriage! We decided to 'get married' for our project, where we had different assignments like researching your wedding and catholic traditions. I managed to do most of the work and got an A for us on all but one assignment. This has been a pretty big joke between us through the years but actually in some ways I think it was the turning point. When I was 17, a senior, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I had to have surgery and had one and a half ovaries removed. During the time I was out of school, Chuck had to take over our project. When I left we were cruising with an 'A' and well under budget. Upon my return, we had gotten our first 'B' and now had Billy Joel singing at our wedding! But we got through it and love telling that story now to everyone who would listen. In high school, Chuck was always 'just a friend'. I never looked at him in 'that way' until a few years later.

After high school, Chuck went to Rutgers Camden University to play basketball and I went to Salisbury University in Maryland. During our spring semester freshman year, Chuck and some of his teammates asked me to join in our their group shore house. I said yes and during the year I would hear from Chuck or see him and he was always joking me about how we were going to be roommates. I never imagined this would be the case so I just laughed back with him.

Turns out that's exactly what we were that summer! In a house with five guys and two girls, Chuck and I shared the only 2 bed room. However, our perfect summer hit a rough patch once we had found out one of our 'friends' had stolen the money for the shore house and loss it all on a horse race. Chuck had a lot more to lose in this case then the rest of us though. He was friend's with this guy and took a lot of the guilt for not knowing about his friend's money problems. He felt betrayed and felt worse that he couldn't have stopped it before his new friends got hurt. However, we all got over it and tried to have a great summer anyway.

Over the course of the summer, we became best friends. I learned so much more about him that I ever knew in high school and in fact, I don't think anyone really knows about him. I still did not look at Chuck 'that way' but things turned around quickly a few days before labor day when I had to return to school. I went back to Maryland for classes for a few days before our last weekend at the shore. Once I was back in Maryland, I realized I couldn't sleep because Chuck was not there with me. I missed him more than I thought I would and couldn't wait to come back home.

Once I returned to the shore for the last weekend, I knew I was in love with him. I decided I was going to tell him that night, which I did. This, however, did not go so well. I told him I was in love with him and wanted to be with him but he said it probably was not a good idea for the sake of our friendship. I said ok and returned to my room to tell my other roommates what happened. I told them it didn't matter because I was going to marry that kid and one day he will figure it out for himself. Thank god I didn't have to wait long though. On the very last day, we finally kissed! It was perfect, we were still both so afraid to do it but I think that's what really made it special. We knew we would still be best friends even if this didn't work out. However, it took us a whole summer of being 2 ft. apart to realize we were now meant to be together 2 hours apart. I went back to Maryland that day for school and he stayed in New Jersey. We officially became a couple on September 30, 2000 and we will have the same date as our wedding anniversary!

For the next three years, we stayed together despite the long drives, short weekends together and high cell phone bills. We fought a lot during those years but mainly because we were not together. Not only did I now miss my best friend but my boyfriend as well. But no matter what we stuck it out and stayed together. Now all the hard work we put in is worth it. We own a great home and we are finally able to live the life we waited so long for.
He has known me before I was sick, during and after. He is there for me now with doctor visits and tests because he was there for me in the beginning. I don't have to explain parts of my life because he was there. Some people have a hard time understanding that the cancer I had was serious because I came back so quickly and happier. But he gets that and has made me a better person from it.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com